Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. Many teachers _________ the lack of professional freedom as the _________ for leaving the job.
a. cited; reason b. explained; force c. claimed; understanding d. argued; culprit e. believe; ground
2. Skeptics would not ________ that the Earth actually moves, let alone that it __________ around the Sun.
a. permit; orbits b. accept; revolves c. experience; circles d. assume; went e. challenge; spins
3. Unpredictable _________ of the child could not lead the consultants to any ___________
a. performance; setting b. belief; judgement c. operation; purpose d. behavour; conclusion e. react; decision
4. A public servant who is guilty will not _________ punishment and no __________ person will be punished.
a. be; sincere b. flee; guilty c. defend; common d. avoid; uniformed e. escape; innocent.
5. Few professions can _________ the sheer variety and constant ________ of being a doctor.
a. like; struggle b. share; enthusiast c. match; challenge d, draw; work-load e. justify; exception
Hints & Solutions